8 March 2015

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR

Before my gran passed away earlier this year, we had the task of clearing her house so she could be moved into a care home. Instead of throwing things away, my sister and I went through her furniture to see what we could give some love to. I was lucky enough to take away this beautiful rocking chair which was my grandads. 

Except, I haven't really shown it much love as it's been in my spare room just sat there for the past couple of months. I had seen various upcycling rocking chair DIY's on Pinterest so I thought I'd give colour dipping a go and makeover this beautiful piece of furniture.

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR
As you can see it was a varnished oak finish and I just didn't have the time to sit and sand it down etc so I got myself to B&Q and bought some Rust-Oleum paint in chalk white and dusky pink and set to work. It was a very easy process as the paint allows you to add colour without really prepping - all I did was wash it down and dry it so any grease etc had disappeared.

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR
I then added masking tape to the legs where I wanted the white to stop and got on painting. It took two coats of pink but three coats of white to get it just as I wanted it to look. I do need to go around the legs where the colours meet with a small paintbrush and tidy those bits up but other than that I'm really happy with how it turned out.

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR
It also creates the perfect place to put my gorgeous new beaded cushion which the team from ROOI kindly gifted me. This cushion is absolutely beautiful and I don't think the pictures do the embroidery enough justice. You can pick the same cushion here.  

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR

UPCYCLING AN ANTIQUE ROCKING CHAIR
What do you think to this DIY? Would you consider colour dipping a piece of your furniture? I think this could look amazing with some white dining chairs, colour dipped in various pastel shades. Idea time perhaps...

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love to read what you think, so leave me a comment below...

Blogger Template Created by pipdig