11 March 2015

HOW TO CREATE A RETRO INSPIRED INTERIOR

MID CENTURY FURNITURE

If you follow me on Pinterest (and if you don’t, why not!), then you’ll have seen I've been pinning a lot of Mid-century furniture recently. I've become slightly obsessed with adding more retro pieces of furniture to my living room.

Whether it’s the boldness of the 60s, the sleek lines of the 50s or the glam era of the 20s, it’s actually quite easy to add a retro feel to a modern house, especially with places such as Argos and Ikea offering staples such as wooden sideboards, quirky coffee tables and bold fabrics. I absolutely adore this coffee table and TV unit fromArgos, so much so, I’m getting them with my next pay day.

The best way to start is to decide on a colour scheme which is relevant of the era you’re trying to emulate. I loved blue shades mixed with whites, yellow, greens and oranges, all of which look great when teamed with wood, and definitely reminiscent of the 60s. If, for example, you’re looking to update your bedroom, I came across an amazing green and blue duvet cover from Yorkshire Linen, which, when teamed with a wooden bedside table and retro portable radio, captures that 60s style perfectly.

Another way to add a hint of retro is to paper one wall in a statement wallpaper, tying the room together with either a graphic addition to your Scandinavian look, or a black and gold print reminiscent of the Art Deco era to match mirrored furniture for example.In terms of furniture, one your best bets is to search your local charity shops. We actually have a charity furniture shop in Leeds which has some amazing pieces – including a trunk which I’d love to paint and use as storage in my hallway. Plus don’t forget Gumtree, eBay and Freecycle – who knows, one day you could find an Ercol coffee table.

Finally, lighting is key and if you’re not a fan of the kitsch lava lamp (I’m definitely not), reading dome floor lamps over the corner of your sofa or armchair can really finish the room off. I’ve added some pictures to inspire you anyway with the kind of retro feel I’m aiming for. Would you ever consider any of this for your home? If so, which era would you like the emulate?

MID CENTURY FURNITURE
MID CENTURY FURNITURE

MID CENTURY FURNITURE
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. your "new " blog looks great! loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much June! You inspire me so much with your blog - love all your interior crafts and DIY's x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read what you think, so leave me a comment below...

Blogger Template Created by pipdig