1 April 2015

BUILDING YOUR OWN TERRARIUM


When you live on the third floor of an apartment block, having greenery around you is sparse apart from the odd potted plant which hasn't been attacked by your cat. Is that just me? That's why today I decided to create my own mini terrarium with some cacti and succulents. I've seen these DIY terrariums all over Pinterest and when I spotted this copper and glass lantern in Homesense, it was like fate stepped in to give me a little plant life back in my life.

Homesense actually had loads of these lanterns, and although gold and silver both look great, I decided to go with copper against the green of the cacti. This exact one was priced at £25.00, which may seem slightly expensive but it's huge and really does look impressive.

All you need to create the perfect terrarium are some pebbles (I got mine for a local garden centre for £2.99), a large handful of bark (I actually stole this from my parents front garden), some soil specific for desert plants (again, I picked this up at the garden centre for £2.99) and some little succulents and cacti - all of which were bought at Ikea for hardly anything.

Layer the pebbles first, then add the bark, before popping your plants in followed by topping up with soil and packing it down to make sure everything stays put. I then added more pebbles to the top but that's purely for decor purposes only. 

How great does it look? I've styled it on my new dining room table with my silver candle sticks I picked up at a charity shop last year, and my beautiful brass pineapple from Rose & Grey which was kindly sent to me last week. If you like it, you can pick up your own mini pineapple by visiting the website here.



I'm always a massive fan of easy DIY's which take less than an hour so this project was perfect. Would this be something you'd try?
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. So pretty! I feel like it's been ages since I've been to Homesense and I always find things I love - definitely need to head over now :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, Kimberly, I went in today and literally could have spent so much money! They have some beautiful themes going on in store :) xx

      Delete
  2. Hey Victoria, this looks amazing! I'm also someone who loves terraniums, I've been meaning to make one for ages. We're on the 3rd floor as well and we do have some window boxes but it would be nice to have something indoors to have a bit of greenery. Good to know this is from homesense as well, as it's down the road! This might even be an awesome project for over Easter! Jasmin x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the third floor living/whilst wishing for a garden :) you know it well lovely! Definitely get down to Homesense and let me know if you do it over Easter! xx

      Delete
  3. Your terrarium looks awesome! I really like the idea of the cacti in the lantern, was definitely worth £25!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alice! I won't be able to afford to buy food this week but I have a pretty house for my cacti! :) I'm off to check out your blog now xx

      Delete
  4. Cacti is always the way to go! They look amazingggg! You've actually made me want to go out and get bits for a terrarium but I'm afraid of somehow killing them (I know they're meant to be sturdy plants but I still fear for them in my care haha)

    Juanita xx | LDN Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm the Queen of killing plants but my cacti have been absolutely fine so far!! :) Have a go and let me know how you get on! xx

      Delete

I love to read what you think, so leave me a comment below...

Blogger Template Created by pipdig